If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen this photo. I have an affection for heart-shaped rocks and photograph them whenever I spot one. This particular limestone treasure sits on the property line between our wonderful neighbors and us.
Unfortunately we are losing these neighbors soon and I’m seriously bummed about them leaving our street. They aren’t going far, but anyone who has been lucky enough to have an amazing next-door neighbor knows how special the relationship can be.
So, now that their house is on the market I’ve offered to help screen the shoppers. It’s a crazy world out there and you never know who you’re going to get. To make it easier on all of us, I even drafted a handy questionnaire. For my readers’ benefits, I’ve included the correct answers. If you are a good candidate or know one, I just might put in a good word for you!
1. Do you have kids? Between the ages of 6 and 12?
Correct answer: Yes and Yes. No offense to the young professionals, the empty nesters, the intentionally childless, or the families with babies who make a midlife uterus do nostalgic flip-flops. But yeah…we are looking for neighbors with young kids.
2. Do you like kids?
Correct answer: Oh I get it. Trick question…because not everyone who has kids actually likes kids and not everyone without kids dislikes them. But yes, I like kids. Especially the noisy ones.
3. Is your kid perfect?
Correct answer: Are you serious? What a dumb question. No…Is yours?
4. Will you freak out if my kid acts like an ass to yours?
Correct answer: No? Maybe? I hope not, but if I do, I will be able to talk about it like a grownup. See answer above: kids are not perfect. And newsflash: neither are grownups.
5. What will you do if we see each other early Sunday morning, braless and in jammies retrieving our newspapers?
Correct answer: I will wave from afar. Unless I have really good gossip that cannot wait.
6. Do you keep avocados in stock?
Correct answer: Yes. And if yours is firm and mine is ripe and you need it for a recipe tonight I will gladly trade you.
7. Do you have a dog? Does it sometimes bark?
Correct answers: Yes and yes. It’s a dog…sometimes dogs bark. But I put it inside or give it a bone to chew on when the noise gets too much.
8. Would you mind if you found my kids digging through your recycling bin for building supplies?
Correct answer: No problem, as long as they aren’t drinking from my wine bottles.
9. Do you appreciate the difference between the all-day playdate vs. the 30-minute, outside-only playdate?
Correct answer: Oh yes! The all-day, in-and-out of the house/yard/pantry playdate is awesome and so wonderfully old school. But then there are days when the house is actually clean and you want it to stay that way for more than 5 minutes. And let’s face it, sometimes we need our space. Those days I’m all, “Stay outside! Thirsty? Turn on the hose! Hungry? Wait til dinnertime!”
10. Will you invite me to every single jewelry/kitchen gadget/clothing party you host?
Correct answer: I am allergic to those kinds of parties.
11. If my kid politely asks you to buy whatever kind of scout/charity thing he’s selling, will you buy one?
Correct answer: Every single time.
12. What’s your stance on toilet papering the house and trees?
Correct answer: I don’t if you don’t.
13. Are you going to blog about me behind my back?
Correct answer: I won’t if you won’t.